Thanks for volunteering to speak at Analyze Boulder! Please read below and fill out the form to let us know that you would like to speak.
(1) The Tone of the Meetup and Your Presentation:
Analyze Boulder's reason for being is to bring the data community *and* the general public together to get excited about the power of data. And since your audience will be a mix of data workers and general public, your presentation must be accessible to a general audience... your grandmother should be able to get it, and feel excited about it.
The tone of our meetup is upbeat, rapid-fire, and succinct. We want to excite the audience about what is cool about what you found, so we go with short presentations. This challenges you to communicate what is cool about your findings, quickly and clearly.
This means that we want you to minimize technical detail, minimize the "how I did this" piece, and maximize the "what I found" and "what's cool about this" piece. Think about the level of accessibility of a TED talk.
(2) About the Timing of our Presentations:
Presentations are either 5 or 10 minutes. Please practice to ensure that you can stay within that time... it's important for the audience that we stay on schedule, and we've had many audience members thank us for working hard to keep the meetup on schedule. For 5 minute presentations, we will give you 2 and 1 minute time checks. For 10 minute presentations, we will give you 3-minute and 1-minute time checks. Out of respect for the audience's time, we will cut you off at when your time is up.
This will be followed by 5 minutes Q&A.
(3) And finally ...
- No pitching, selling, or recruiting. Instead, tell us about interesting things you've done or learned with data.
- Please send final slides to email@example.com on or before the Sunday prior to the meetup.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early to the Meetup and speak to Justin for a quick briefing.
- You may use your own machine for the presentation, or Justin's. Just let us know your preference when you send your slides
Finally, THANK YOU for presenting. Our presenters are the core of the Meetup, and we keep hearing over and over that the quality of the presentations at AB is what makes it such a cool event.
Thanks! - The Analyze Boulder Team.
Website or Blog
Tell us a bit about the presentation you'd like to give!
Are you prepared to present at the next upcoming Meetup or a future date?
I'm ready! The next Meetup.
Not quite ready. A future date.
How much time would you like for your presentation?
Do Not Fill This Out